Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Consultation with Dr. Kayes

July 31st was our consultation with Dr. Kayes, a pediatric orthopedic doctor at the Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis.  It felt like we had been waiting so long to talk to someone.  I was a nervous wreck before the appointment, but could not wait to get down there and meet him.

Up until about the week before, I had plans to go by myself.  That made me sad, as I already felt so lonely and overwhelmed by this choice, but it made sense.  Jay didn't need to take any time off of work that wasn't necessary.  However, after talking with Jay more about Oliver's feet,  he decided to take the afternoon off and we would take Oliver with us to see if the doctor would look at Oliver's feet also.  We weren't asking him to diagnose anything, but just wanted his opinion.  If he felt like something was wrong, we would come back for an appointment just for Oliver.  I prayed that he would tell us Oliver's feet looked good and that wasn't necessary.

I barely slept the night before the appointment.  I wasn't exactly sleeping much lately anyway, so that wasn't unusual.  Stress was really taking a toll.  The morning of our appointment, I took Oliver to his speech therapy and then dropped off Lucy with my mother-in-law.  Thanks to lovely pregnancy hormones I was so sad to drop her off.  I usually don't spend a lot of time away from her and I hated to leave her for the day.

Oliver and I came home and got Jay and headed to Indianapolis.  We had plenty of time which was nice since I wasn't exactly sure where we were going.  Once we got closer to the hospital, I realized I had been down there before (in college).  The hospital campus is pretty big but I recognized exactly where we were.  Thankfully there was a parking garage directly across from the entrance we were supposed to use, and the orthopedic office was right inside of that entrance.  Very, very easy.

We waited f.o.r.e.v.e.r.  Or at least it felt that way.  A friend of mine texted to see how our appointment went, and I vented about how we were still waiting.  We were in the waiting room almost an hour (we got there a little early, so probably 45 minutes past our appointment time) before we got called back.  I understand that doctors get behind, especially by that time in the afternoon, but I was such a nervous wreck that it was driving me nuts.  Plus, my back and my hips and everything else were hurting from the long drive down.  Cue the pregnancy crankiness.  Thankfully they had some pretty cool video games in the waiting area that Oliver enjoyed playing.

We finally got called back and the nurse asked us some basic questions.  Oliver was already starting to get wound up being in the room and climbing up and down on the exam table.  I could feel my stress level rising and I was just praying he wasn't going to be completely crazy during our talk with the doctor. We had explained to him how important this was and that we needed to be able to talk to the doctor.  We even let him bring in his Nintendo 3DS to hopefully keep him occupied.

Finally Dr. Kayes came in.  We introduced ourselves, and Oliver, and said that he was our first clubfoot child.  Oliver was sitting on the exam table with his shoes off, and right away Dr. Kayes started making conversation with Oliver and moving his feet around.  I kind of held my breath to see what he said.  After playing with them some more, he said Oliver's feet looked great! I think Jay and I both let out a sigh of relief.  I explained that he hadn't seen a doctor for awhile so we were hoping to hear that.  He had Oliver stand up and turn around and said although his right foot was a little tighter than his left that they looked great.  He was amazed by Oliver's treatment (no tenotomy, very early release from braces, etc) and asked a lot of questions about that.  He even looked at Jay's foot (Jay was wearing sandals) and asked a couple of questions about what we knew about his surgery and treatment as well.

Even though we had to wait awhile for our appointment, I felt like Dr. Kayes made sure that we had plenty of time with him.  He apologized that we had to make such a drive to get to him, and I kind of laughed and said, "Well, its either here to you or to St. Louis to see Dr. Dobbs...this is much closer."  I explained that I had been in touch with Dr. Dobbs, and Dr. Kayes said he had a couple of patients that he has actually sent to St. Louis to Dr. Dobbs for a second opinion.  He said he doesn't hesitate to get in touch with him if there is ever a situation where he feels he could use Dr. Dobbs' expertise.  He acknowledged that Dr. Dobbs is a clubfoot expert, and I thought it was great that he utilizes him when necessary.  Dr. Kayes was very humble, and kind.  He asked several times what other questions we had, and how he could help us feel comfortable with what to expect at this point.  I told him about how Oliver had KAFO braces, and asked if he ever used them.  He said no, not really, because of the long-term benefits of the bar and boots.  That brace is really the Ponseti standard, so I understand why he uses that.  I asked if we could get the Dobbs bar (which is hinged and the baby can move his feet independently instead of always together like with the solid bar), and he said we could.  That was good to hear.  He asked how we knew about the bar and boots if Oliver had used KAFO braces.  I had to laugh a little and say, "well, the Internet."  If he only knew how many hours upon hours I had spent researching!

During all of this, Oliver was much more...social, than I expected.  That's one way to put it.  He kept going up to Dr. Kayes and saying, "Hey! Look at my game, look at this level!"  and showing him something on his 3DS.  I wanted to crawl under my chair, and drag Oliver with me.  But Dr. Kayes took it all in stride.  He would smile and even ask Oliver, "Oh yeah?  Let me see that again."  He was so nice and easy-going with Oliver that it really put me at ease.

The treatment Dr. Kayes described was pretty much exactly what I expected.  He said just to give him a call after the baby is born, and we'll set up appointments.  The first cast will go on a week or two after he is born; whenever I feel up to making the trip.  We'll change out casts once a week for several weeks until the feet are positioned correctly.  There's a good chance Max will need a tenotomy, but I'm still praying we can avoid that like Oliver did.  If he does need it, it'll be an in-office procedure and not in an operating room. I was relieved to hear that.  A final cast will go on after that and stay on approximately 3 weeks.   After that Max will start wearing the bar and boots brace.  The first three months of brace wear will be 23 hours a day, 7 days a week.  After the first three months, we will slowly wean him down: one month 20-22 hours, one month 18-20 hours, one month 16-18 hours and one month 14-16 hours. Eventually he'll get down to just wearing them at bedtime until he is about 4 years old.  That is the part that I really struggle with.  I can't imagine having a child in braces at bedtime for that long when Oliver was done so early.  But I can't let myself go there.  Not yet.  Max isn't even born yet; I can't let myself imagine him as a toddler in braces at bedtime.

I left the appointment feeling much, much better than I expected.  I'll admit, I went in with a "this guy is going to need to impress me" attitude.  I really looked at the appointment as something to check off my list to say I had looked at all of our "local" options before deciding that we needed to see Dr. Dobbs in St. Louis.  How we were going to afford to get there, I didn't know.  How we were going to arrange childcare, I had no idea.  But I didn't expect to like Dr. Kayes, to be really honest.  I was surprised at how much I liked him and felt at ease with him.  Jay and I both felt comfortable with him, and I was so glad that Jay had been part of that day's appointment.  I needed his input.

I left the appointment feeling like a slight weight had been lifted.  Finally, we had a doctor.  I still had this nagging feeling that I wished we could be making the trip to St. Louis.  I really liked Dr. Dobbs, and I knew he was one of the very best.  But logistically, this made so much more sense.  And if we ever feel like we need some extra help or attention, we know we can go to St. Louis.  

After the appointment, I was able to meet up with a friend who lived in Indianapolis and had a bunch of nursing and baby stuff for me.  We had actually never met in person before despite being in touch pretty much daily on facebook, text messages, etc.  Amal was so super sweet to wait for us during our appointment.  It was lovely to meet her, and I hope that during some of our many other appointments we will be able to see her again.

The drive home was exhausting.  Physically I was in a lot of pain...Jay had gone into work at 2:30 that morning and worked 8 hours before leaving so, understandably, I did the majority of the driving that day.  I called both of my parents to let them know how our appointment had gone, but I wasn't as talkative as I normally would have been because I was just so drained.  It seemed like two months worth of stress, exhaustion, and anxiety had caught up to me.  We had hoped to make it home in time for Oliver to get to play in his soccer game, but we definitely did not.  I couldn't wait to pick up our Lucy girl and just get home.

I went to bed that night with somewhat of a clear mind for the first time in awhile.  I posted this as my facebook status:

An exhausting day, both mentally and physically. But a very good one. I'm so thankful for all the prayers and messages we received today. I feel so much relief that today is over! Two months ago I was devastated with the news we had just received and for the first time since then I am going to bed with some peace of mind. Thank you Lord.


I expected to wake up the next day and feel so much better.  But to be honest, the next day I felt awful. Physically, I was exhausted and hurting all over.  It was like I was forcing myself to just move and take one step after another.  Mentally it was like all I could think was very basic thoughts about what needed to be done and paid attention to in that very moment.  The kids and I got through the day with me functioning on a very basic "need to do it" level.  I think the stress, anxiety, build-up, fatigue, and worry of the past two months had left me stripped of everything.  I wanted to feel relieved and happy about the day before but felt very numb.  It had all certainly taken its toll.

1 comment: